This course is meant to be an introduction to the Odissi dance technique and gives an overview of the practical and theoretical aspects of the dance form. Students are introduced to the dance style through movement and readings from traditional and contemporary texts. The course explores the physical, spiritual, historical and social aspects of the dance form. It enables the student to appreciate and understand the dance form and its multidisciplinary nature.
1. Understand and execute body alignments, body fragmentation and positions specific to Odissi dance.
2. Execute a range of movement sequences with an understanding of the rhythm systems.
3. Will become familiar with the gestural system and the way it is used in dance.
4. Will be introduced to a brief historical and social background
5. Perform a choreographed piece set to music.